- School Info
Welcome to Carl Hankey K-8 Academy, South Orange County’s only public International Baccalaureate World School
Sit back, close your eyes and imagine an educational experience that encompasses the following;
- Your child will journey across the Kindergarten through 8th grade years without having to make a transition after 5th grade to a new school site. Moving on to middle school is only a celebratory walk across the blacktop accompanied by a symphony of cheers on the final day of school.
- The taught curriculum is built upon English Language Arts and math state standards that have been carefully discussed and prioritized by every teacher, from Kindergarten through 8th grade, so there is a clearly articulated academic pathway.
- The school belongs to the International Baccalaureate World School family, committed to providing all students with a quality educational experience aimed at "developing active, compassionate, internationally-minded, life-long learners." Across the grades "active" students are engaged in hands on experiences aligned to our inquiry-based philosophy. They are afforded opportunities to interact in cooperative group work, encouraged to take action with their learning and continuously make connections between ideas, concepts and prior knowledge.
- The school promotes mindfulness and fosters a growth mindset. Compassion, open-mindedness, life-long learning and reflection are developed through a school-wide PBS program called Second-Step, delivered to every grade level by a full time counselor, teacher feedback that is relevant and timely, and the ten attributes of the IB learner profile forming the foundation of the school's culture.
- The school community fosters international mindedness, teaching students that the world does not stop outside the school door-rather it extends far beyond us. Global issues are presented and confronted by the entire school each year. Students discuss current events and discover that often times, we speak a universal language, for example, Roman numerals and Korean factoring.
- The school incorporates the AVID Schoolwide program, weaving into the IB curriculum AVID's foundational tools (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading,) and AVID's philosophy promoting rigor for all and career and college awareness.
- Finally, the school welcomes and celebrates parent involvement and actively seeks out opportunities to collaborate with the City of Mission Viejo and the surrounding community.
But you don't have to just imagine this educational experience- because it really exists here at Carl Hankey K-8 Academy, a school with a huge heart and tremendous spirit. We are extremely proud of our accomplishments which include; IB World School, 2019 California Distinguished School and 2015 and 2016 California Gold Ribbon School. This school year also marks our start adding AVID's Schoolwide program into our school culture.
You are always welcomed to come visit and see why we are Carl Hankey K-8 Academy: Small School. Big Difference.